Health and Safety
What is our mission?
To ensure the implementation of the MLW Health and Safety Policy, encouraging and assisting in the development of safety procedures and ensuring that established rules and safe working practices are adhered to and reviewing the policy and procedures to maintain safe workplace and healthy workforce.
What is our vision?
To provide and maintain systems of work that are safe to a health and a safe place of work. We also provide information, instruction, supervision and training as may be necessary to ensure the health and safety of MLW employees take appropriate preventative and protective measures. Ensuring that all employees are adequately trained and competent to carry out work allotted to them with minimal risk.
What is our core business?
- All accidents, near misses and dangerous occurrences are documented and investigated and recommend means of preventing recurrence.
- Induction training on health and safety matters.
- Fire Precautions and Prevention.
- Carry out workplace inspections and advise as and where necessary to improve methods of working.
- Ensure that contractors do not place employees, or members of the public, at risk.
- Appropriate Risk Assessments are carried out to identify and minimize risk to staff.
- Safe methods of working are implemented and adhered to as well as documented.
Who is in our team?
The Health and Safety Officer reports to the Senior Research Administrator. The function is also supported by the HS Committee on which sits various HoDs and Senior Management including the COO. Each department/project also has a HS Representative who acts as a point of contact (liaison) on health and safety issues for the department/project.