Gabriel is a Clinical Microbiologist who completed his training in Biomedical Sciences and in Medicine (MBChB) at the Université Catholique du Graben in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). After then, he did a certificate course in Medical Laboratory Technology before starting his Master of Philosophy in Clinical Microbiology at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Ghana.
Currently, he is doing a specialised training in Antimicrobial Stewardship at the College of Medicine, University of Malawi. He is also doing Pre-PhD training at MLW that is preparing him for a successful Ph.D. application. He is serving in the Bacteria and Drug-Resistant Infections (BDRI) Group under the supervision of Associate Professor Janelisa Musaya and Professor Nick Feasey.
Gabriel is also a lecturer in the Infectious Diseases Department in the Faculty of Medicine, at the Université Catholique du Graben in DRC.
Gabriel’s research interest is on bacterial infectious diseases. He is currently working on nosocomial infections within the surgical departments at Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital in Blantyre. He is assessing the burden of nosocomial infections, focusing on their antimicrobial resistance profiles and molecular epidemiology surveillance.
Grant and Awards
Gabriel has won several award and grant, namely:
– BEBUC BSc. Scholarship (2011-2017)
– Holger Poalman Stiftung Award (2014)
– BEBUC Master Fellowship (2017-2019)
– DAAD Scholarship (2018)
– ACEPHEM Fellowship (2018-2020)
– MLW Pre-PhD Fellowship (September 2020-August 2021)
Gabriel has co/authored about 25 articles in peer reviewed journals. Here are some selected articles:
• Bunduki GK, Mukululi MP, Masumbuko CK, Uwonda SA. Compliance of antibiotics used for surgical site infection prophylaxis among patients undergoing surgery in a Congolese teaching hospital. Infection Prevention in Practice 2020;2(3):100075.
• Bunduki GK, Adu-Sarkodie Y. The usefulness of C-reactive protein as a biomarker in predicting neonatal sepsis in a sub-Saharan African region. BMC Research Notes 2020;13:194.
• Bunduki GK, Katembo JM, Kamwira IS. Antimicrobial resistance in a war-torn country: Lessons learned in the Eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo. One Health 2020;9:100120.
• Sikakulya FK, Mulisya O, Munyambalu DK, Bunduki GK. Ebola in the Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo: One health approach to infectious disease control. One Health 2020;9:1001117.
• Bunduki GK, Adu-Sarkodie. Clinical outcome and isolated pathogens among neonates with sepsis in the Democratic Republic of the Congo: a cross-sectional study. BMC Research Notes 2019;12:303.
• Kavunga EK, Bunduki GK, Mumbere M, Masumbuko CK. Sirenomelia associated with an anterior abdominal wall defect: a case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports 2019;13:213.
• Bunduki GK. Community Resistance to Ebola Response Team during the Tenth Outbreak in DR Congo. J Infect Dis Prev Med 2018;6:3.